Peace Circle Lesson: Thinking Like a PeacemakerSeptember 20, 2016
Can You Say Peace?September 22, 2016
What happens on this day?
- All over the world Peace Day Events are taking place. Check here to see if there is an event near you. EVENT MAP
- At noon, there will be a Peace Wave - one minute of silence (in your time zone): a shared moment in which to reflect on what we need to do to make the world a more peaceful place.
- Families and communities will hold a Global Fest for Peace. This is a special meal held with family and friends at which we honor our commitment to peace.
- People will be participating in Global Unity Games in which compassion is valued over competition. Find the directions on how to play at Compassion Games.
- Through yoga and meditation, individuals will affirm their personal commitment to life and peace as part of Global Mala. This year a major event will be held on the mall in Washington DC on September 25th. Learn more...
- Jane Goodall's Roots and Shoots provides numerous activities to honor the day with an emphasis on the role sustainable development play in forging peace.
But no matter how you plan on celebrating International Peace Day, the one thing we all can do is say the Peace Pledge and think about how tomorrow and the next day and the day after that, you will contribute to making the world a more peaceful place. Here is a simple pledge, that even young children can understand.
Learn how International Peace Day came about in this video.
Today, September 21, is International Peace Day or as it is more simply known: